FIC Logo (1Kb)

FIC Technical Support:
486 Motherboards FAQs

Note: Some jumper settings for various types of 486 and early Pentium motherboards can be found in on the FTP server. For links to 486 manuals (scanned, PDF format) click here.

  1. Does my 486 motherboard support the Pentium OverDrive (P24T 83MHz) processor?
  2. How do I clear the CMOS password on my 486 motherboard?
  3. Does my 486 motherboard support the AMD 5x86 133MHz processor?
  4. Does my 486 motherboard support Cyrix 5x86 processors?
  5. Are any BIOS updates for 486 motherboards other than those listed in your BIOS section?
  6. Is my 486 motherboard Y2000-compliant?
  7. Does my motherboard support LS-120 drive?
  8. Where do I plug the LED on the 486-PIO-3 motherboard?
  9. Can I use EDO DRAM or parity DRAM on a 486 motherboard?
  10. Can I install Windows OSR2.1 ("Windows 97" with USB support) on my 486 motherboard?
  11. What are the jumper settings for PA-2000 with Pentium 133MHz?

1. Does my 486 motherboard support the Pentium® OverDrive (P24T 83MHz) processor?

The Pentium OverDrive (P24T) processor has an internal write-back cache, which can't be enabled on older 486 boards since this concept had not yet been conceived at the time of manufacture. If your 486 board is not listed below then it does not support the P24T processor, even if it has an OverDrive socket.

The following FIC 486 motherboards all support the Pentium OverDrive™ processor, with the applicable BIOS version.  

See the 486 Motherboards BIOS Updates Page to download the BIOS that supports the Pentium OverDrive™ processor.

Please note that not all the above BIOS are flash BIOS. To install a non-flash BIOS, you need to use an EPROM programmer to reprogram the BIOS chip. See the BIOS Update Procedure for more details on this.

2. How do I clear the CMOS password on my 486 motherboard?

  1. Turn off the system, and remove the system unit cover.
  2. Locate the specified jumper for you board (see below), and cap it.
  3. Turn the system power back on and the screen will display the following message:

Password is set disabled
Please remove jumper (see below)
before setting up new password.

This message indicates that the password is cleared. Remove the jumper (see below) and reset the system. At this point , you will not be asked for the password to enter setup.

Clear CMOS Password Jumpers

486 GACV   J7
486 GIO VT   J7
486 GIO VT2  J7
486 GT2   J7
486 PAK2   JCP
486 PIO2   CLR_P
486 PIO3   JCP
486 POS   CMOS_CLR
486 PVT   JCP
486 PVT IO   JCP
486 VIP IO   J7
486 VIP IO2   J7
486 VIP IO   J7

3. Does my 486 motherboard support the AMD 5x86 133MHz processor?

The following FIC 486 motherboards all support the AMD 5x86 133MHz processor, with the applicable BIOS version.

See the 486 Motherboards BIOS Update Page to download the most recent BIOS.

Please note that not all the above BIOS are flash BIOS. To install a non-flash BIOS, you need to use an EPROM programmer to reprogram the BIOS chip. See the BIOS Update Procedure for more details on this.

4. Does my 486 motherboard support Cyrix 5x86 processors?

The following FIC 486 motherboards all support Cyrix 5x86 processors, with the applicable BIOS version.

See the 486 Motherboards BIOS Updates Page to download the most recent BIOS.

Please note that not all the above BIOS are flash BIOS. To install a non-flash BIOS, you need to use an EPROM programmer to reprogram the BIOS chip. See the BIOS Update Procedure for more details on this.

5. Are there any other BIOS updates for 486 motherboards other than those listed?

No, FIC will not be releasing any more BIOS updates other than those listed in our 486 BIOS section.

6. Is my 486 motherboard Y2000-compliant?

Depends on the model and BIOS version. The current (as of October 1997) Year 2000 and LS-120 support table can be found in 486 Motherboards Y2000 Compatibility Table (~16KB), a zipped PDF file.
Note that on the FIC FTP server you might find some beta BIOS-es for old Socket 7 and 486 motherboards. "Beta" means that BIOSes for these products, although too old to be actively supported, were updated to be Y2K compatible. However, no testing and approval has been done and therefore they are deemed
a) BETA versions,
b) not 100% guaranteed Y2K compatibility,
c) available only for customers' convenience and
d) can be used on your own responsibility.

Several 486 motherboards share the same chipset and I/O chip, so their Y2K beta BIOS is the same: GIO-VT, GAV-2, GAC-V, VIP-IO, GIO-VP, GVT2 all can use 3276GN1.BIN. Download the file at ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/bios/motherboards/486/.

7. Where do I plug the LED on the 486-PIO-3?

Please download this Word drawing (~2KB) to view the position of the LED connectors on the PIO-3 motherboard.

8. Can I use EDO DRAM or parity DRAM on a 486 motherboard?

486 motherboards are not capable of supporting EDO DRAM and parity DRAM due to chipset limitation. Use ordinary DRAM memory on your system. (E.g non-parity DRAM).

9.Can I install Windows OSR2.1 ("Windows 97" with USB support) on my 486 motherboard?

Only in case your BIOS chip is an EEPROM, or flashable, BIOS ROM chip.

9. What are the jumper settings for PA-2000 with Pentium 133MHz?

Hereunder are the jumper settings for Intel 133Mhz.

JK1 ------ 2-3
JK2 ------ 2-3
JK3 ------ 1-2
JC2 ------ 1-2

 

Technical Support - Motherboard FAQs
Technical Support - Motherboards
FIC Home Page

Disclaimer:
Intel, VIA, Adobe, Microsoft and other registered trademarks are property of their owners.
The files and links on this page are provided by FIC as a service to its customers and serve for informational purposes only. The content is provided "as is" without any express or implied warranty.

Copyright © 1997 First International Computer, Inc. All rights reserved.