IBM-AUSTRIA - PC-HW-Support 30 Aug 1999
2140, 2142 Amplifier Card BIOS
2140 - 2142 - Amplifier Card BIOS
Type 2140, 2142 computers come with either a Tier 1 or Tier 2 amplifier card.
- Tier 1 amplifier card has one speaker output jack.
- Tier 2 amplifier card has two speaker output jacks, one for the speakers and one for the sub woofer.
When replacing a system board, the BIOS setting on the new system board must match the amplifier card
that is installed in the computer.
New A-1 and A-2 system boards for Type 2140, 2142 are coded for the Tier 1 amplifier card.
If the computer you are servicing has a Tier 1 amplifier card, no BIOS coding is necessary.
If you order a new system board for a 2140, 2142 that has a Tier 2 amplifier card, the amplifier card BIOS must
be set to match the Tier 2 amplifier card.
Amplifier Card BIOS Setting
The Amplifier BIOS update procedure must be run from a Safe Mode Command Prompt
Care must be taken to make certain that the BIOS setting matches the actual amplifier card (Tier 1, Tier 2) installed. The
sound system will not function properly with the incorrect setting.
- Determine the amplifier card installed. From the rear of the computer, there will either be:
- One mini DIN connector (speaker), Tier 1,
- or -
- Two mini DIN connectors (speaker and sub woofer), Tier 2.
- Determine the system BIOS setting for the amplifier card.
- Reboot the computer to a Safe Mode Command Prompt
- Select Start from the lower left desktop.
- Select Restart The Computer then Select Enter
- When Starting Windows 95 displays at top left corner of screen, depress F8
- Select Safe Mode Command Prompt Only from the menu.
- At the C: prompt, type DEBUG and press the Enter key.
- At the dash "-" prompt, Type d fffa:0, then press the Enter key.
- The right side of the screen will display the Serial Number (23AXXXX), Tier audio card,
TIERx_AUDIO, and system model number (214X).
- The "x" in the TIERx_AUDIO denotes the Tier card the computer is set to use.
- If the amplifier card installed matches the type listed in step 2, no action is required.
- If the amplifier card installed does not match the type listed in step 2, you must run the
appropriate update to match the amplifier card to the system board.
Updating Amplifier Card BIOS
To update the amplifier card BIOS:
- Insert the Diagnostics and Utilities CD in the CD/DVD-ROM drive.
- Power-off, the power-on the system unit.
- When the Aptiva Diagnostics and Utilities Menu appears, depress the
Zero key to select the DOS screen. The A drive prompt will appear.
- Select CD/DVD-ROM drive (the CD/DVD-ROM drive default is G:).
- At the G: prompt, type:
then press the Enter key.
- If a Tier 1 amplifier card is installed in the computer, type TIER1.BAT at
the DOS command prompt.
- If a Tier 2 amplifier card is installed in the computer, type TIER2.BAT at
the DOS command prompt.
- If the system monitor is not a Type 2116 (MM55) or Type 2128 (MM75), type
TIER0.BAT at the DOS command prompt.
Type 2140, 2142 computers are designed for use with the MM55 or MM75 monitors only.
The use of a different monitor might cause sound and functionality problems.
- Remove the Diagnostics and Utilities CD from the CD/DVD-ROM drive and restart the computer.
- Go to above 'Amplifier Card BIOS Setting' to verify the setting matches the amplifier card
installed in the computer.
More INFORMATION / HELP is available at the IBM-HelpCenter
Please see the LEGAL - Trademark notice.
Feel free - send a for any BUG on this page found - Thank you.