BIOS Recovery* * For more info, see FIC Technical Support Web pages at http://www.fic.com.tw Q: How do I know what PCB is my motherboard? A: Check the corner of the board, nearest to ISA (or PCI) expansion slots, loot for a number with a dot (.), e.g. 1.4. Q: How do I know which BIOS version I have? A: Check boot screen (e.g. Ver. 1.15JE30). Q: Can I flash Award BIOS with AMI BIOS (or vice versa) on the same PCB? A: No, because it would represent a violation of IPR. Also, the board may malfunction. Q: Why doesn't my motherboard boot after flashing a new BIOS (BIOS Recovery Procedure)? A: Please read again the BIOS Update Instructions, and check that you have followed the steps outlined. Q: I "fixed" my BIOS chip and now I need a new one. Where can I buy a new Flash EEPROM? A: FIC does not sell spare BIOS chips. Please check your BIOS chip type and markings and inquire at your local retail stores or online shops. US customers can contact MediaLand System at (510) 475-7868. If you are using an AMI BIOS, make sure to reboot the system holding the "END" key prior to power on until you enter CMOS setup. E.g. the PT-2200 has AMI BIOS. If you played with the Flash EPROM Type jumper setting, check that it is set correctly for the EPROM chip installed on your board. Proper settings for some models is given below. If you've damaged contents of your BIOS chip by using DMI Utility or performing an incomplete BIOS upgrade, you can try the the Boot Block Feature (it's a BIOS feature) to recover your system. Try using an ISA VGA card and see wether that system will alow you to perform a Boot Block. The boot Block feature allows you to boot at least on Drive "A" for you to Re-program the BIOS using a Flash Utility. Download a BIOS and Flash Utility from our Web Site and try programming your BIOS again. Steps to restore Boot Block BIOS: 1. Have a bootable diskette (c:> format a:/s) with three files: flash upgrade utility, a BIOS file, AUTOEXEC.BAT containing a line like: flashutility.exe biosfile.ext /Py /Sn Example: VL-603, Award BIOS 1.14in12.bin, flash utility flash613.exe: Add the following line to autoexec.bat (note that /Py /Sn means Program=Yes, Save=No) flash613 114in12.bin /Py /Sn 2. Boot the system from the bootable diskette containing the three files from Step 1. The system then runs flash utility according to the line in AUTOEXEC.BAT. Note that because Boot Block BIOS is small, it does not support PCI and AGP VGA graphics cards - it supports only ISA VGA cards. If you cannot find an ISA card for this procedure, you'll still be able to complete it, but without seeing anything on the screen. You can also try to reset the CMOS by removing the CMOS battery for at least 2 minutes and try to short the negative and positive side of the battery socket by pressing it downward. If you still cannot recover the BIOS, try to find a computer or electronics shop (or friend) who's got an EPROM programmer (EPROM burner) that can burn-in a BIOS file into the Flash EPROM chip for you. You will need to supply the old BIOS file (either get a backup file from a floppy or download the last working BIOS from the FIC Web site). Finally, if you still cannot recover your BIOS, you can try to purchase a new Flash ROM chip (partially remove the sticker on your chip to find out the type/specs and try to find (don't forget to check Internet search engines like Yahoo) a shop that sells Flash ROM chips.  After you've got a new chip, follow the steps in the paragraph describing EPROM programming device (EPROM programmer). The ultimate failure in BIOS update is when Flash EPROM chip is soldered onto the board. In that case you will need to de-solder the chip and solder the new (or recovered) chip onto the board - note that this will definitively void the warranty so do not attempt to do it unless you are ready to bear all consequences of such action!